Frequently Asked SEO Interview Questions
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) has always been one of digital marketing's most popular methods and is widely used across different industries. SEO, in the term of a layman, is a technique that increases traffic to a website or web page by affecting its visibility on the result pages of the search engine.
Because of the huge factor played in this age of technology by twitter and search engines, SEO is an integral part in branding of online businesses. SEO practitioners are in high demand; so is the industry's rivalry. You need to train well in order to be successful in a SEO job interview.
Here are some of the SEO interview questions and answers that are frequently asked in an SEO interview:
What are the two types of SEO?
On-page optimisation and off-page optimisation
How will SEO Services Help Our Businesses?
Our SEO services allows small business owners to rate their website higher in SERPs, which helps to obtain quality leads.
- To convince future customers to buy, we will use natural advertising and marketing strategies.
- We will help you to produce high ranking results for affordable prices and add value to your business.
- We will help you to increase revenue from your TOP line and further business growth, thus growing the revenue generation potential of your page.
Difference Between Local SEO and Global SEO
Local SEO- Local SEO includes making it so easy for potential buyers to find online details about your company while looking for any service that provides relevant goods and services in their area.
Global SEO- Global SEO is also known as SEO, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the tool to help improve the company website's popularity and rank by natural means in search engines.
Name the four important meta tags in SEO and what are their character limits?
Description Meta tag — 150 characters limits
Keyword Meta tag — 200 characters limits
Title Meta tag — 60 characters limits
Meta Robot tag – N/A
Differentiate between a do-follow and a no-follow link?
A do-follow link acts a backlink that is counted by search engines and help in enhancing the ranking of a site.
A no-follow link, usually, does influence the ranking in search engine index.
What's the flow of your SEO process?
Our SEO Process Flow Requires Steps to Follow-
- Business Study.
- Potential Keywords Evaluation & Reporting.
- Final Keywords Selections.
- Baseline Rating Report.
- Website Review & Suggestions.
- Taking all website information from user.
- Applying on Site Optimization.
- Regular off Portal Operations functions to execute on an individual basis.
- Regular Google Analytics & webmaster Check.
- Content Marketing
- Articles and forums post creation.
- Monthly Reporting
- Sending content to client for acceptance.
What all SEO tools do you use?
- Google Keywords Planner
- Google Webmaster
- Google Analytics
- Screaming Frog
- Smart SEO Tools
- WoooRank Ahrefs
How am I going to check whether or not my SEO project is doing well?
There are several ways to check.
- Google analytics (or any other method that you use to detect visitors).
- Check impressions and clicks through Google's webmaster.
- Check the current rating of keywords and equate with the study of the baseline.
- You will have access to our CRM tool to help you review all of your SEO campaign's activities.
- Or just as with custom reporting.
How does it operate for PPC advertising?
How do I know when my ads are going on?
Within Ad words dashboard, there is a provision within Dimensions section to test when traffic and conversions happened at slots. To optimize the quality of your advertising, you can drill down to hour-by-hour ad results in the & time review under the Dimensions section. It information can then be used to change the timing and distribution of your advertising based on the best results.
What are the common SEO mistakes?
- Not optimising for right keywords
- Not having unique title tags and meta descriptions
- Using the same anchor text for every link
- Focusing on link quantity over link quality
- Using poorly-written content
How can I generate the highest ROI?
Investment return is the main metric for assessing keywords and pay-per-click marketing performance.
Here are a few things to follow:
- Keep track for quarterly changes to your company database. Before using Ad Terms, associate these with customer acquisition.
- Check the average customer revenue.
- Develop a sense of a customer's durability and overall sales value during that time.
- Making full use of Ad Words conversion tracking to figure out which & deals are having the most converts and the most lucrative conversions.
What is the Panda update?
Released first in 2011, this update is aimed to lower the rank of “low-quality sites” or “thin sites”, in particular “content farms”, and return higher-quality sites near the top of the search results.
What is the Penguin update?
First released in 2012, this update was launched to catch sites deemed to be spamming its search results, in particular those doing so by buying links or obtaining them through link networks designed primarily to boost Google rankings.
What is Sandbox Effect?
The Sandbox Effect is the theory that websites with newly registered domains or domains with frequent ownership or name server changes are placed in Google's indexes in a sandbox (or holding area) until such time is considered appropriate before a ranking can begin.
What are doorway pages?
Doorway pages are web pages that are created for spamdexing. This is for spamming the index of a search engine by inserting results for particular phrases with the purpose of sending visitors to a different page.
What is XML Sitemap? How is it important?
The primary purpose of XML or Extensible Markup Language is to promote search engine features.
A strong XML sitemap alerts the search engines about the number of pages on a specific website, the rate of their updates and the duration of the last changes made to them, which allows the search engines to better index the website.
What does it mean if nothing appears while searching a domain?
If your domain does not appear on the search, the reasons could simply be –
- Search engines have banned the website
- The page has not been indexed
- Some canonical issues
What is a Google Penalty?
As the name suggests, it is similar to any type of penalty in any field. Google penalties are designed to punish websites that have done something wrong or have done things that are not as per Google’s regulations. As per Wikipedia – “A Google Penalty is the negative impact on a website’s search rankings based on updates to Google’s search algorithms or manual review. The penalty can be a by-product of an algorithm update or an intentional penalization for various black-hat SEO techniques.”
How will you avoid the Google penalty?
Google penalty can be avoided by ensuring that:
- The website is simple, clean and well-performing
- The website is mobile-friendly
- The website is user-friendly
- Links are not broken
- Content is not duplicate
- Smart keywords and tags are used
What is Google AdWords?
It is Google’s advertising system, where the companies/advertisers bid on a set of keywords and get their ads to appear on search results. This is the most commonly used PPC advertising system.
Name some Google AdWords ad extensions.
- Affiliate location extension
- Call extensions
- Promote extension
- Structured snippet extension
- App extension
- Site link extension
- Callout Extension
How you can improve conversion rates?
Conversion rates can be improved by testing different elements on site, especially on the landing page. One can also experiment with functionality, layout, and style on landing pages.
What is Google My Business?
It is a service offered by Google, where a business can be listed on the Google search engine to have improved visibility. It requires –
- Adding and updating business information
- Adding photos of the business
- Interacting with consumers
- Responding to Google reviews, on time
- Managing business information
Explain Google Trends.
It is another very useful service by Google, which monitors the popularity of a keyword in a particular region for a particular period. Google Trends makes use of real-time search data to understand user behaviour.
These are some of the popular questions asked in SEO interviews. Always be prepared to answer all types of questions — technical skills, interpersonal, leadership or methodology. If you are someone who has recently started your career in SEO, you can always get certified to understand the industry-related terminology, skills and methodologies.